Use our Maisy Goes to Nursery ‘Settling into Nursery Story Bag’ activity guide below, to help children settle in to your nursery.
- Support transition into nursery
- Become familiar with nursery routines and activities
- Introduce new/familiar vocabulary
- Share feelings about a new experience.
- Maisy Goes to Nursery story book
- Photos of activities in your own nursery/key person in the room the child will be joining
- A cloth bag (or similar)
- Resources to match your focus activity
- Cuddly animal (optional).
- To help welcome and settle new starters you can create a ‘settling into nursery’ story bag that can be taken home and looked at together by a parent and child or by practitioners and child during the initial settling in visits
- To put your story bag together you will need a medium sized cloth bag to store your resources to enable them to be taken home
- Add the story book Maisy Goes to Nursery and then choose one of the activities in the book to focus on e.g. music – add a musical instrument and a song sheet for parents to use with their child. Or you may choose painting and opt to share some paper, brushes and small palette of paints to use
- Create your own key person or room book using photos of staff and the room/environment with the different resources and equipment the children will have access to. Stick the images onto card and stick the pages together to create a book format
- Add a cuddly animal that matches a character in the book if you have access to one e.g. mouse, panda, donkey, duck, squirrel
- Add a visual timetable to your key person/room book so the child and parent can discuss the similarities to Maisy’s nursery routine.
© 1994-2021 Lucy Cousins
Published by Walker Books Ltd. All rights reserved. www.walker.co.uk